Tiny Coffins Challenge: July

 Welcome back! This month's prompt is:

"disguises, sacrifice, and a snare drawing closed"

I have a lot of memories of my dad getting bit by snakes. When I was little we'd go on family hikes in the woods and I'd catch animals along the way. Mostly toads, turtles, and bugs. The only snakes I was allowed to catch were garter snakes, because they're not likely to bite and are easy for a kid to identify. Dad would catch all the rest. He'd scramble down a river bank and come back up with a water snake wrapped around his arm and its teeth sunk into his finger, then tell me how its anticoagulant saliva worked. There are lots of local species I've only been able to see up close because he was willing to get bit, scratched, or stung in order to catch and bring them to me. Thanks dad.

1 comment: